Educational Credential Assessment Canada

If you are planning to immigrate to Canada then there’s a possibility that you may need an ECA or Educational Credentials Assessment. An ECA is conducted to verify that your education attained from a foreign institute is valid and equivalent to a degree or diploma issued by a Canadian university. This might be one of the requirements for immigration or getting a work or study permit, depending upon your requirements. You may add your ECA in your Express Entry profile but it doesn’t guarantee you employment or a license to practice your profession.

Who Needs An ECA

You must get an ECA if you have obtained a degree or diploma from an institute outside of Canada. Getting an ECA will not only make you an eligible applicant for the Federal Skilled Workers Program of the Express Entry system but it will also earn you additional points in the Express Entry pool. If your spouse plans to immigrate to Canada with you then you may also get additional points for their Educational Credentials Assessment.

Which credentials to get assessed

Getting your credentials assessed entirely depends upon your requirement but most of the times you are only required to get your degree of the highest level of education assessed. It means that people with a Master’s degree do not have to get their Bachelor’s degree assessed.

How To Get An ECA

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has designated some institutions and professional bodies for immigrants to get their education assessed depending upon their education and profession.

Designated organizations

The designated organizations by IRCC are:

  • Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
    • designated: April 17, 2013
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
    • designated: April 17, 2013
  • World Education Services
    • designated: April 17, 2013
  • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
    • designated: August 6, 2015
  • International Credential Evaluation Service
    • designated: August 6, 2015

Designated professional bodies

Physicians (NOC 3111 or NOC 3112)

Candidates who are specialist physicians (NOC 3111) or general practitioners/family physicians (NOC 3112), may need to get their primary medical diploma assessed by the Medical Council of Canada.

  • Medical Council of Canada (the professional body for doctors)
    • designated: April 17, 2013

Pharmacists (NOC 3131)

Candidates who have a degree in pharmacy and need a license to practice in Canada may get their degree assessed by the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada.

  • Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (the professional body for pharmacists)
    • designated: January 6, 2014

If your job does not require you to have a license to practice then you may obtain an ECA from another designated institutes.

A  regulatory body may help you in determining if you need a license to practice for your job depending upon the province you choose to live in.

What Your Report Means

Ideally, your report must state that your education is valid and equal to a Canadian degree. After that, you may add your result along with the reference number in your Express Entry profile. You will not get any points if your ECA is not completed or the report shows it invalid.

How To Submit Your Report

Before submitting your report you must ensure that:

  • It is issued by an organization or professional body designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for immigration purpose
  • It is not older than 5 years.

Once you get your report:

  1. You must update your Express Entry profile with your ECA report and reference number.
  2. Get your original documents ready for verification once you get an invitation to apply for permanent residence.

Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *